50 Fat Dates follows my quest to find Big Curvy Love (girlfriend’s in her thirties and looking for a man…don’t judge.) I’ve challenged myself to go on 50 dates over the course of one year and share my dating stories, plus size dating tips and lessons learned. 50 Fat Dates kicked off on Valentines Day so if this is your first visit make sure to catch up!~Kelly
Ever been at a bar and seen a hot guy and wondered if he’s single and looking? I have! I’ve even been out with girlfriends when they’ve noticed someone saying “He’s cute and not wearing a ring. I wonder if he’s on Tinder?”
You might have heard of Grindr the gay hookup app that’s been around for years and its straight equivalent is Blendr. Now there’s Tinder which is pitched as a dating app rather than hookups. I’ve yet to hear of any relationships to come out of Tinder but since 50 Fat Dates is all about testing out all kinds of dating I’m ready to give it a go and find out what it’s like.
WHAT IS TINDER?
Online dating based on your location. Scroll through photos and see which men catch your eye and ignore those who don’t. Some people add a short profile and some are just a photo. If you both approve aka ‘like’ each other you can start messaging!
HOW DOES TINDER WORK?
The app finds your location by GPS and links to your Facebook profile’s info providing your first name, age, photos you’ve hand selected and a short tag line. Tinder finds potential matches near you e.g Dan, 35 1 mile away. If you have any Facebook friends in common the app will let you know.
Swipe right to ‘like’ him or left to say ‘nope. You can only start messaging each other if you both swipe ‘like.’
– Know Who is Single You can’t tell if a guy is in a relationship or engaged so this at least tells you who is available.
– It’s Instant. You like someone, they like you. You meet and chat. No chatting online, waiting for people to get back to you and arranging a time.
– No Cat Fishing. You can see immediately the person and find out if they actually look like their photo.
– Friends. The mutual friends function means if you’ve got 10 Facebook friends in common with a match. If you are already running in the same circles there’s a better chance to date.
– IRL Interaction. Best way to find out if you have real chemistry is to meet someone in person.
– Less Pressure. If you like the Ryan Gosling look-a-like he’ll never know, unless he ‘likes’ you too.
– No unsolicited contact. Only someone you’ve ‘liked’ can make contact.
-Hook Ups. Grindr is essentially a Gay Sex app to find people close to you to have shag. Blendr is the straight version. Tinder is pitched as a ‘dating’ app but I ‘ve yet to hear of a couple to come out it. If you get any sex soliciting messages just use the ‘block’ function.
– Looks Based. You’re judged and judging on a split-second view of a thumbnail photo. I guess this is like in real life in public situations. There’s room
– Height. The app doesn’t tell you how tall the man is. All you get is his age. For my single sisters who are looking for a guy who is over 6foot this is a minus as he might be sexy but small.
– Tinderitis- Developing a a sore thumb from swiping to like or pass on potential date’s profile pics.
MY PERSONAL TINDER ACCOUNT
Okay, I’m off to set up my account and will report back to let you know how it goes. Have you used Tinder? Share your stories good or bad! I’d love to hear them. ~Kelly xoxo