50 Fat Dates follows my quest to find Big Curvy Love (girlfriend’s in her thirties and looking for a man…don’t judge.) I’ve challenged myself to go on 50 dates over the course of one year and share my dating stories, plus size dating tips and lessons learned. 50 Fat Dates kicked off on Valentines Day so if this is your first visit make sure to catch up!~Kelly
My 50 Fat Dates quest is well under way and as part of the project, I’m experimenting with all kinds of ways to meet men. There’s friend, family and colleague introductions which didn’t really work so well but you can read about it here, online dating that I’m flirting with and will have to take more seriously eventually and IRL (in real life) events such as single mixers and speed dating events. Here are my top five reasons to attend events such as plus size speed dating or singles mixers over online dating.
1. What you see if what you get. IRL events mean it’s a ‘what you see is what you get’ scenario rather than showing up and meeting someone who doesn’t look like their pic. Showing up to an event means the attendees can’t deceive you with a fake profile and photo from a decade ago that’s been photoshopped. In short, you won’t be ‘catfished.’
2. Instant chemistry. When you date online there’s a chance for written chemistry and flirting to be amazing. You might feel like you’ve met the love of your life and have the best connection ever. Then you meet in person and quickly figure out the lights are on but nobody’s home. You may not be attracted to them in real life and vice versa. A person-to-person meeting at plus size speed dating event can cut out a lot of wasted online time (and broken hearts.)
3. Plus size speed dating is less superficial than online dating. We’ve all churned through hundreds of plus size dating profiles and judged based on physical appearance. It’s human. Some people aren’t photogenic and not great at selling themselves online. Dating events give you the chance to gauge personality as well as appearance. Some people look better in person anyways.
4. You get what you pay for. People showing up to an event have generally paid a cover charge and are serious about dating. Since online dating can often be free, you’ll find a lot of people are there window shopping plus it can be time consuming and on a delay. I tend to send through a lot of initial contact or show of interest and either not hear anything back or get a ‘hi’ response a few days later and end up not replying as I’m ‘over the online dating process.’
5. Events are targeted. No more inbox messages from out of state and international men who are forty years older and looking for something ‘casual.’ The attendees at plus size speed dating events are local, in your age range and ready to date now! Generally the men-to-women ratio is pre-planned so it’s not twenty-five women to three men. You also get the opportunity to meet a minimum of ten singles.
Now, all I have to do is psych myself up and get the guts to sign myself up for an event!